With breezy Bohemian themed affairs making the rounds, we wanted to share with you our latest event swag: DIY Cactus Tealight Favors. These cheery goodies will be a great compliment to a fiesta, cactus party, taco night or Coachella themed gathering. Requiring minimal supplies and DIY skills, this favor will be easy to make for a novice DIY-er. Here’s our handy tutorial:
- First, gather your materials. We started awesome mini cactus tealights as our inspiration. Use two types of cacti for added variety, like the Golden Barrel Cactus and San Pedro Cactus tealights, both available on Linentablecloth.com. For the base of the tealights we used 2″ mini clay pots, like these, available in your local Michael’s or craft store. They will serve as the base for our favor. Next, we need these paper flowers, also sourced from Michael’s, to top our cacti, and this gold spray paint to transform our little pots. Lastly, you will need 26 gauge wire for adding your favor label toppers.
- Next, spray paint your pots. This step is fairly self-explanatory, but here are some spray painting tips: use several light coats for even coverage and be sure to rotate your pots often so you don’t miss any spots.
- Then, remove the tealight tin. The mini tealights fit so snugly in the little clay pots, that the tin is unnecessary.
- Next, clip your flower. These flowers are ideal because they don’t have a plastic base, but rather are attached to a green wire. This makes them perfect for fitting into the candle, just slide the wire into the hole made by the wick. Be sure to trim any wire that may be coming from the top of the flower as well.
- Next step: Make your sticker topper. We used two types of 1.5″ round favor labels, customized here, with wire sandwiched in the middle. The wire should be skinny enough to fit into the wick hole along with the small flower wire.
- Finally, place your toppers and flowers. Just slide them right in!
- Lastly, ENJOY!